I watched your program on Medicare. I don't believe you have all of the facts about Medicare. First Medicare is not free. People, like myself pay into Medicare their whole working career and this only pays for Medicare Part A. Medicare Part A covers the hospital stay and general hospital care. We say it's free because the is no deduction for it after a person is no longer working. Medicare Part B, which covers doctors treatment and procedures, cost $96.40 monthly to the average person of reasonable means. This is only 25% of the actual cost. The Federal Government subsidizes Part B cost by paying the remaining 75%. The high income people you were interviewing are not in this class. Since the Medicare Modernization Act in 2003 Medicare Part B has been based on income. The people you were interviewing probably are not feeling the deductions for Medicare at all. Payment for people in the high income bracket is over the 25% cost. Their IRS tax information is used to determine how much they will pay. Social Security bases deductions on a persons income. This is known as the Medicare Part B IRMAA (Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount) policy. Yes, the Federal Government (the people) are paying 75% in most cases, but it is not free. Please look further into the subject and interview some seniors who are barely making it with the cost of living. So many have gone back to work after retiring because of the cost of health care. There are still deductibles and percentages which have to be paid before and after the hospital stay. Maybe we should look at policies used in Canada to help all of the people with health care. It's ridiculous for people in their 70s to have to go back to work to pay for health care.
A concerned listener