It must stink to have so many armchair quarterbacks. Actually, Texas Miracle or Mirage wasn’t so bad. Even Gov. Perry will tell you no governor is ever the entire catalyst for economic growth.
If you list external factors which helped the Texas economy, it is only fair to list external factors which hurt economic growth. Shall we?
· $5 billion in lost crops and livestock and job loss effected the economy.
· So did the moratorium on offshore Texas after the BP oil spill.
· Some drilling in southern Texas has slowed due to drought. Fracking takes water.
· Texas has a high unemployment rate, and the highest population growth. Many agriculture and
construction jobs stopped when heat went over 100 degrees
· After wildfires burned 3 million acres, Gov. Perry tenaciously sought national disaster assistance
for 6 months.
· Don’t some people need minimum wage jobs?
Despite all this, 37% of jobs created were in Texas. External factors work both ways. I look forward to seeing ABC discuss both.