Email This Message
Separate multiple addresses with commas
Add your own comments (if any)
1 of 1
I am a three time Breast Cancer Survivor and now in remission (4yrs). All during my treatment and follow ups I had to battle my insurance to cover the cost of such simple things as Mammogram (every 6mo) to ensure I was able to maintain remission ( especially critical after the first lump was found - I got pregnant with my third child (@ 29y) a mer month after the initial surgery. Therefore I was monitored carefully not only during my pregnancy but well after the birth)
It was one of the 6mo mammogram that the second tumor was discovered - had I waited until my ins. recommended 40yr baseline mammo. I would be dead. It took persistence, constant nagging, determination, and the grace of GOD that 1) each tumor was found in a timely manner 2) I continue to get regular mammogram and follow up care 3) I survived each tumor and each round of treatment...... All reluctantly covered by my insurance!!!
Now for my current dilemma: All the chemo and follow up treatment left me with no immune system - @ age 4 I was involved in a terrible accident that resulted in my spleen being removed. From that point on my body fought to build an immune system ( I was put on prophylactic antibiotics twice a day until I was 18) only to result in a very weak and poor substitute. In addition to the lack of a fully complete, strong and functioning immune system to battle even the most basic of colds - I gradually developed a sensitivity / allergic reaction to most antibiotics.
Now at nearly 4oyrs I am extremely susceptible to all viral / bacterial infections. Compounding this there are only 3-5 antibiotics I can take (still need a Benedryl infusion at the onset of treatment as well as multiple times during treatment to avoid further allergic reations.. Plus my GI tract can no longer tolerate (most) oral meds - especially antibiotics... So getting a simple cold or sinus infection is very precarious ..... I now require the use of a PICC line and multiple rounds of antibiotics ( plus antiviral to prevent C. Diffi [ a intestinal condition as a result of strong antibiotic treatments] ) .
My husband worked for a major utility for 24yrs and was just laid off..... thus ending his medical coverage!!
So now I have a complex medical history, current survivor of cancer and recurrent MRSA sinus infections. All without insurance... My husband was eventually able to find work (after 15mo) but isn't eligible for benefits until late Oct. We don't qualify for state medical, we can't afford private insurance (even if I could no one will cover me due to a "pre-existing" condition )- and I am once again in need of a PICC for long term antibiotic treatment....... THIS IS MY DILEMMA!!!!!
Please help!!! I am slowly going septic and have exhausted all options that I am aware of.....