My son who is 16, recently had what seemed to be an allergic reaction to grapejuice.
Grapejuice has never bothered him before, he drank it on Friday, broke out into hives on his
upper body only, they looked like welts and were very itchy. I gave him benadryl they went away.
Without thinking it was the grapejuice, the next day he had another glass, broke out into itchy hives
only this time there were more they were larger and were also on the upper body, his ears were
very red and swollen.I took him to the er, obviously they weren't sure it was the grapejuice, though
they gave him prednisone and we came home. The same evening without drinking it again, he broke
out again, i gave him benadryl he was fine. The next morning he woke up with hives again . I took him the
pediatrician, and he's not sure if it is the grapejuice or if it is a virus, though that was the last episode.
We have a follow up with his allergist to challenge him with the grapejuice soon, hopefully we will have
the answer. Is grapejuice a common allergy, can this just be a coincidence and he had some type of virus,
but why would his ears swell up? If he had the last drink on Satuday afternoon doea it stay in your system?
because he had his last attack Sunday morning?
Medical history: environmental allergies, molds, cats, dogs, ragweed, pollen, dust and dustmite being the worst.
asthma, and croup, other than that never had any food allergies.
I hate not having answers, when he gets challenged with the grapejuice and if it should come back negative am i to
assume it was a virus, with no other symptoms?
I look forward to seeing what information you can give me,