Please let me know what changes I should make to my resume to get interviews. Thanks.
Objective: A position where I can impact positively a company’s business goals utilizing my knowledge and the skills gained through previous work experiences and education.
Summary of Qualifications:
Allen Tate Realty, Charlotte 2007-2008
H & R Block, Charlotte, NC 2005-2007
· Collected documents and personal information from the clients, while ensuring a high level of confidentiality.
· Conducted a thorough interview with the client, asking appropriate and all necessary questions to determined client’s tax liability.
· Promoted alternative products or services to help the clients achieve their financial objectives.
· Educated clients about the tax advantages relative to each product or service.
· Reviewed returns with clients. Provided tax planning advice and additional information that is relevant to their tax and financial situation.
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, PLLC, Charlotte, NC 1998
· Conducted extensive research, reviewed accounts payable invoices, and analyzed financial statements for the fiscal years 1993 through 1997.
· Identified all developmental cost associated with providing services to the Belk stores.
· Developed reports to document the method used to qualify each expense as developmental.
· Presented results to the project leader and tax accountant.
Belk Stores Services, Charlotte, NC 1979-1998
· Managed, administered, and evaluated the process used to compile, analyze, and summarize information used to produce monthly financial statements.
· Developed highly accurate spreadsheets to improve the budget allocation process and the invoice coding process.
· Supervised and evaluated staff of four. Direct reports included bookkeepers and accounting clerks. Implemented cross training of employees.
· Prepared job descriptions. Interviewed, hired and trained cost accounting employees.
· Directed and monitored the work of employees to meet month end deadlines.
· Ensured timely and accurate payment of accounts payable invoices and billing of services.
· Minimized employee turnover by developing and maintaining business unit relationships.
· Coordinated the budgeting process. Compiled and summarized detailed expense and revenue budgets. Assisted in maintaining and managing budgets.
· Interacted daily with managers during the budget process. Computed and analyzed budget variances of specific accounts for department managers.
· Developed spreadsheets to track and to allocate equipment and software leases.
· Reviewed and approved accounting documents. Work with confidential payroll information.
· Assisted in establishing pricing for new and existing data processing services.
· Created detailed expense and revenue budget templates. Provided budget diskettes to expense center managers for completion. Updated budget information as required.
· Determined how approved accounts payable documents should be allocated and coded for input into the cost accounting system.
· Prepared monthly preliminary reports. Analyzed accounts to determine month-end journal entries and miscellaneous accruals.
· Reconciled prepaid accounts. Tracked equipment and software leases. Reviewed contracts from vendors.
· Verified that invoices from vendors were accurately billed per terms of the signed contract. Pinpointed and resolved discrepancies.
Education: Winthrop University, Rock Hill, SC, Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
· Specialized in accounting with courses in computer science
Dale Carnegie Course: Effective Speaking and Human Relations
H & R Block: Income Tax Courses
CPCC: Real Estate Course North Carolina and South Carolina Real Estate License
· Sunday School Teacher for children, ages three to five.
· Assist in various projects for the Habitat for Humanity organization.
· Supervised high school and middle school students on various field trips.
· Helped elementary school students to excel in the Math Superstars program.